Learning Skills for Science (LSS)
Dr. Zahava Scherz
Prof. Bat Sheva Eylon
Postdocs and students
Ornit Spektor-Levy (PhD, no longer in the project)
Dr. Liora Bialer (PhD, no longer in the project)
Tali Shapiro (PhD student)
Sally Johnson (UK)
Jean Scarce (UK)
Dr. Ornit Spektor-Levy
Based on research findings which indicated a lack of scientific academic competencies among secondary school students and graduates, the LSS program was first developed in 1990s in Hebrew and extended in 2005-2012 in English as a collaborative project with UK (Gatsby-Science Enhancement Program and Nuffield Curriculum Centre). The LSS program provides a model and instructional materials for integrating high-order learning skills with science contents and includes teacher guie’ student booklet and website with resources. Research findings indicated that a planned, explicit LSS instruction combined with ‘assessment for learning’ via performance tasks attains better achievements in science assignments than traditional science instruction. Impact: The LSS materials were adapted and disseminated in the UK in more than 3000 secondary schools since 2006. The LSS program is now adapted also in Singapore and Brazil, and has gained international interest in several other countries (Latvia, Canada, and the USA).
- Scherz Z.*, Spektor-Levy O. and Eylon B. “Teaching Communication skills in Science : Tracing Teacher Change”; Teaching and Teacher Education, 24(.2), 462-477, 2008.
- Spektor-Levy O., Eylon B. and Scherz, Z.* “Teaching Scientific Communication Skills in Science Studies – does it Make a Difference?”; International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, 7: 875-903 ,2009.
- Scherz Z.*, Bialer, L., and Eylon, B., “Learning Skills for Science (LSS): the Synergy between Design and Evaluation Methodology in a Reflective CPD Programme”. Research in Science and Technological Education, 26(1), 45-65, 2011.
Related materials (in English and in Hebrew)
- Scherz Z. and Spektor-Levy O. “Learning Skills for Science (for grades 14-16) “:
(a) Activity Book
(b) Teacher Guide
(c) Tutors’ Manual
Science Enhancement Programme, Weizmann Institute of Science and Nuffield Curriculum Centre, 2005 (1st edition), 2006 (2nd edition), UK.
- Scrace, J., Scherz Z. and Spektor-Levy O. “Learning Skills for Science (Post-16)”, Science Enhancement Programme and Nuffield Curriculum Center, 2009, UK.
- Spektor-Levy O. and Scherz Z., “Scientific Communication”,The Weizmann Inst. of Science, Student book , (in Hebrew), 1999.
- Spektor-Levy O. and Scherz Z., “Scientific Communication”, The Weizmann Inst. of Science, Teacher Guide , , (in Hebrew), 2001