Learning Skills for Science (LSS)
- Dr. Liora Bialer (PhD, no longer in the project)
- Tali Shapiro (PhD student)
- Dr. Ornit Spektor-Levy
The LSS program, developed in the 1990s following research which indicated a lack of scientific competency among secondary school students and graduates, was extended into English during 2005-2012 as a collaborative project with the UK (the Gatsby Science Enhancement Program and the Nuffield Curriculum Centre). The LSS program provides a theoretical framework model and practical instructional materials for integrating high-order learning skills with secondary school science contents, and includes a teacher’s guide, a student booklet and a website with supplementary resources. Research indicates that planned, explicit LSS instruction, combined with ‘learning-oriented assessment’ via performance tasks, results in higher achievements in science assignments than traditional science instruction. Since 2006, The LSS materials have been adapted and distributed in more than 3000 secondary school in the UK. The LSS program is now also being adapted in Singapore and Brazil, and has gained international interest in several other countries (Latvia, Canada, and the USA).
Links for further reading
- Scherz Z.*, Spektor-Levy O. and Eylon B. “Teaching Communication skills in Science : Tracing Teacher Change”; Teaching and Teacher Education, 24(.2), 462-477, 2008.
- Spektor-Levy O., Eylon B. and Scherz, Z.* “Teaching Scientific Communication Skills in Science Studies – does it Make a Difference?”; International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, 7: 875-903 ,2009.
- Scherz Z.*, Bialer, L., and Eylon, B., “Learning Skills for Science (LSS): the Synergy between Design and Evaluation Methodology in a Reflective CPD Programme”. Research in Science and Technological Education, 26(1), 45-65, 2011.
- Scherz Z. and Spektor-Levy O. “Learning Skills for Science (for grades 14-16) “:
- Activity Book
- Teacher Guide
- Tutors’ Manual
Science Enhancement Programme, Weizmann Institute of Science and Nuffield Curriculum Centre, 2005 (1st edition), 2006 (2nd edition), UK.
- Scrace, J., Scherz Z. and Spektor-Levy O. “Learning Skills for Science (Post-16)”, Science Enhancement Programme and Nuffield Curriculum Center, 2009, UK
- Spektor-Levy O. and Scherz Z., “Scientific Communication”,The Weizmann Inst. of Science, Student book , (in Hebrew), 1999.
- Spektor-Levy O. and Scherz Z., “Scientific Communication”, The Weizmann Inst. of Science, Teacher Guide , , (in Hebrew), 2001